Tuesday, August 7, 2007

St. Martins, New Brunswick

Today was a fun-filled trip to a small village called St. Martins. This tiny town has rich geologic treasures that are absolutely amazing. The first formation I visited was the sea caves. These caves were created from the power of the waves crashing into them during high tide over thousands and thousands of years. Here are some pictures of the caves:

The beach at the sea caves is made up of smooth, rounded rocks; another sign of the tremendous amount of erosion that takes place at the Bay of Fundy.

Here you can see how the rocks erode from the large wall of conglomerate rock.

(Click on pictures for a lrger view of the image)




I also visited the Fundy Trail. This newly created trail has lots of hiking and biking trails. The most interesting formation is the "Flower Pot" rock. The rock all around the flower pot has eroded away leaving just this part still standing, probably because of the roots embedded in that section of the rock. Check out these amazing pictures:






Here is a picture of me walking for miles and miles down the road to find my rental car after getting lost on the Fundy Trails. I definitely got my exercise for the day!!

4 comments:

Shirley said...

Hey, Will,
Shirley here...the teacher who rode back from the conference on the plane from the science deal in Denver.

What a great adventure you are having. I am enjoying reading about your discoveries and seeing you pictures posted.

I hope your students are reading and learning about this amazing place. You caused me to go online and learn about the Bay of Fundy. I had never heard of it before.

I was wondering of any sea animals or wildlife get caught out of water when the tides shift so severely...or have they just adapted. Also, are there any animals that only appear around this bay because of the severe tidal changes?

Mr. Rhodes said...

Hi Shirley. I'm glad you found my blog! From what I have seen, no animals get stranded except for the clams burrowed in the mud and the starfish that cling to the rocks waiting for the tide to come back in. I took a really cool pictures of groups of starfish clinging to the bottom of a rock. I will post that picture on here so you can see it.

I was quite amazed to see seals and dolphins in the middle of the Old Sow whirlpool. My tour guide said it would be their version of Disneyland. Since these animals can hold their breath for up to thirty minutes, they love getting sucked into the many little whirlpools that form.

Shirley said...

That is amazing about the seals and dolphins playing in the whirpools!

How is the weather there? It MUST be cooler than here. There have been heat advisories out the last couple of days....really tough to be outside...unless you are in the water.

Do the tides change during the seasons....or are the extremes twice daily and consistent in highth and depth?

Mr. Rhodes said...

The weather here is GREAT. I have been wearing jeans the past couple of days. One of my tour guides said the Bay of Fundy keeps the land cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

As far as the changing tides, they change twice a day. Two low tides and two high tides. However, they are slightly lower during the first and third quarter phases of the moon (neap tide) and higher during the new and full moon phases (spring tide). The Spring Tide is higher because the moon and sun are more aligned and the gravitational pull of both in alignment is slightly stronger.

There is also the rare Extreme Proxigean Spring Tide. This happens when the moon's perigee distance is slightly closer to the earth than regular. In the past 400 years, this has happened 39 times, the last being March 7th 1995.