Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Coast of New Brunswick

Yesterday was a busy day. I packed up and left Saint John for a day trip along the coast of New Brunswick as I traveled to my next destination, Parrsboro, Nova Scotia. My first stop along the coast was in the Fundy National Park. Since I got lost on the last trails I hiked, I decided to just stop at the lookout points this time. Here are some beautiful pictures from Fundy National Park. Notice the dried river beds. Once high tide comes in, they become flooded with water.

Next, I stopped at Cape Enrage. This lighthouse is one of the oldest in New Brunswick. However, now that lighthouses really are not needed, this lighthouse and the surrounding buildings were abandoned. In the early 90’s several high school students and some sponsors decided to save Cape Enrage. They found financial sponsors and the high school students restored all the buildings. Now, high school and college students run the buildings, which include a small restaurant and gift shop. The Cape is called “enrage” because when the tides come in, the rocks at the bottom of the cliffs cause the water to swirl and turn violently, giving an enraged look! Here are some pictures from the area:

The last stop was at the Hopewell Rocks. This is one of the main tourist attractions of the Bay of Fundy, and you will see why from the pictures. This area of red sandstone has been easily eroded away over millions of years, and still continues to erode today. Check out the pictures of the remnants from the large-scale erosion:


No comments: