Saturday, August 11, 2007

Parrsboro and Joggins, Nova Scotia

Today I have spent the day as a geologist. The area of Nova Scotia where I am visiting is located at the top of the Bayof Fundy and is well-known for the fossils that have been found there. I started the day by touring the Fundy Geological Museum where I learned alot about fossils in general and the different eras and periods of geologic time. Over on the right side of the screen you can see an archaeologist working in the lab located at the museum. It was really cool to watch him slowly work the dirt and rock away from the fossil.

Next I drove on a very scenic route to Joggins, home of the Joggins Fossil Cliffs. (See a video of the drive on the right) This site is famous for the fossils of the first known reptiles that lived 100 million years before the dinosaurs roamed the earth. I spent several hours searching for fossils and "rock-hounding." Check out the video on the right to see what the rocks look like at the fossil cliffs.

Oh, I think I may have found some fossils, but I am not sure. I will have to reasearch them on the internet.

No comments: