Monday, August 6, 2007

Discovering St. Andrew's, New Brunswick

Today I started with a trip to Minister's Island in St. Andrew, New Brunswick. There is a huge mansion called Covenhoven on the island and I enjoyed learning about the history of the home. However, the main reason I wanted to visit was because you have to drive across the ocean floor to get there. Of course, you can only drive across the ocean floor during low tide. Here are some pictures of the drive to the island and of me walking on the ocean floor:







After about six hours, here is the same area I had once driven across to get to Minister's Island:




Next, I traveled farther into St. Andrew's to take a chartered boat ride to "Old Sow." Old Sow is the largest whirlpool in the western hemisphere, the second largest in the world - second only to the Maelstrom Whirlpool of Norway. The whirlpool is called "Old Sow" because of the sounds that are heard from the churning waters. I learned that a whirlpool is not what everyone thinks it is. When you picture a whirlpool in your mind you probably think of a huge twirling cyclone of water. This is actually not true. Basically this whirlpool is created when several bodies of water are fighting against the rising tides. During this time there is lots of churning in the water that should be calm. There is also lots of bubbling up of water and churning twirls of water. Here are some pictures from my experience:



No comments: