Sunday, August 5, 2007

Off to Canada!!

Today is the the big day! While sitting at the airport, I decided to start a quick journal about airplanes. I have always loved flying. I always get a window seat over the wing so I can watch everything that causes the plane to fly.


In 1738 a Swiss scientist by the name of Daniel Bernoulli discovered some interesting facts about air pressure. His findings are now known as Bernoulli's principle, and can explain why a bird or air plane can fly. Here is the science behind flight:

An airplane wing is relatively flat on the bottom and convex (curved) on the top. When an airplane is moving forward through the air, the air flowing above or over the wing has farther to go in a given amount of time than the air beneath the wing (the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, i.e., beneath the wing; the distance above the wing is longer because it is not in a straight line). Because of this difference in the flow of air, the air pressure is greater below the wing than above it, and the air plane is pushed up. Pretty cool, huh?

Here is a simple experiment you can do right now to test Bernoulli's principle, just click on the link below:


It is almost time for my flight to Toronto, Ontario (Canada) and then to Saint John, New Brunswick (Canada). I will not arrive until late tonight, so this may be my only post for the day.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Hey Mr. Rhodes! It looks as if you are having an amazing trip...the pictues of the caves were really neat. I saw some caves similar to that when I traveled out west. The caves I saw were not created by water though. They were created by the wind blowing sand against sandstone rocks over thousands of years. I think right now, however, I would prefer the water. The temperatures have been quite high recently. What is the temperature where you are?
I'll try to write again soon.
Mrs. Lopez

Mr. Rhodes said...

Hi Mrs. Lopez!! The temperatures are so wonderful here. In the day it is 25 degrees celsius and in the evening around 16. That is equivalent to a high of 77 and a low of 61. Don't you wish you were here? I am not looking forward to the sticky humidity back in Texas. See you soon!!